Do you have a passion for video games and want to design one yourself? If you have a creative mind and an interest in devising new game concepts, then a video game designer career is right for you. Video game designers are the visionaries who dream up exciting stories, characters and features that make video games entertaining, and work closely with game developers to realise those concepts and make them real. While this may sound like an exciting career, it is also an extremely competitive market to enter. That said, if you follow these steps you will be well on your way to being the top applicant.
How to Become A Game Designer
To join a team as a video game designer you need to be able to stand out from the crowd. Here are the steps to take in order to get ahead:
• Learn the Skills – Knowing what you like and want in a game is one thing but knowing how to make it happen is another. Learning how to implement your ideas and finding what works and what does not will gain you valuable experience in the field.
• Start Your Training – Because the field is so competitive, having some sort of formal qualification like a degree will put you ahead. Not only will this look impressive on your CV, but you will discover a range of skills that you can apply to your career.
• Choose a Specialty – Game design involves a variety of diverse fields you can specialise in. Whether you prefer designing characters, levels or other content, having a career path in mind will help you maximise your skills in that area.
• Gain Experience – Having some level of experience in the industry will give you an advantage over other applicants. Try and get an internship or entry role with a game studio to learn different aspects and trends in the industry.
• Begin Crafting – Originating your own games will also help you create a favourable impression in the industry. These do not have to be AAA games: just use basic software to devise simple but enjoyable games that demonstrate your game developer skills.
With upgraded skills and experience, and equipped with an updated CV, you are now ready to embark on your journey towards joining a team as a game designer.
How We Can Help
At OPMjobs we help applicants interested in careers in the video game industry find positions in studios and associated industries. Since 1998 we have been matching budding game developers and designers with over 100 game companies across the world. Whether you are looking to become an artist, content designer, or take on another role, we can find a position for you regardless of your level of experience in the industry. At OPMjobs we work to find permanent, contract, in-house and remote positions for our clients, and believe everyone should be treated with respect, honesty and transparency. Most of all, we want you to be happy in your role within the games industry!
Game Designing with OPMjobs
At OPMjobs we are proud of the connections and relationships we have with some of the world’s leading games companies. If you have the relevant experience and are interested in progressing your career as a video game designer upload your CV through our website or get in touch via email or phone.