UE5 AI/ Gameplay Programmer – #4dayworkweek Remote/ Hybrid Brighton, UKQuick Apply
- Type: permanent
- Salary: Negotiable
- Posted: 11-09-2023
- Location: Brighton
- Workspace: Remote
- Job ID: 27149
One Player Mission’s client are a tight-knit, Mid-sized indie team with tons of ambition, based in the vibrant seaside town of Brighton.
They’re looking for an AI / Gameplay Programmer to join the team, working on their flagship survival horror game. You’ll be instrumental in crafting unique creature encounters and gameplay features working alongside world-class artists, designers and programmers to help bring their unique game world to life.
- Solid Blueprint and C++ programming skills.
- Strong understanding of AI principles and techniques; knowledge of behaviour trees, state machines, EQS, etc.
- Excellent problem-solving ability.
- Self-motivation in taking ownership over your work while being proactive in your collaboration with team members.
- Great team communication skills, especially in remote contexts.
- Passion for playing and creating cutting-edge, single-player video game experiences.
- Distilling the vision statement of what the animals mean in the game into functional AI actors which exhibit interesting and dynamic interactive behaviour.
- Work alongside game designers and animators to craft the player experience as far as interaction with AI agents is concerned, which may include combat interactions.
- Have a hand in building or extending general gameplay systems in service of realising the game’s core vision, even outside of AI encounters.
- Responsible for the look and feel of animal behaviours, including fixing bugs, and immersion-breaking situations in general, with support from our Animation Programmer.
- Creating prototypes to help build suitable frameworks that can support and inform the design team.
- Suggest improvements if necessary by designing and implementing new systems.
- Collaborate with designers and animators in discussing constraints and establish the technical possibilities of AI behaviours.
- Suggest innovations based on other industry-leading games and techniques.
- Program in Blueprints and C++ in a clear and structured way, taking into account simplicity, readability, maintainability, and performance (where necessary).
- Verify that newly developed systems meet project AI requirements and align with the game’s core pillars.
- Document the work so as to transfer knowledge and enable team members of other disciplines to understand how to use the new AI systems and functionality
- Involvement in a shipped game using Unreal Engine 4 or 5.
- Worked at a AAA or AA studio.
- Experience solving complex AI problems (navigation, turning, route planning, multiple agent interaction, etc.).
- Experience working on pathfinding or AI movement/behaviours for characters, preferably bipedal and quadrupedal animals and/or creatures.
- Strong mathematical ability; knowledge of vectors, matrices, and linear algebra.
- Experience working with complex animation graphs, procedural animation, and/or foot and spine IK.
- Knowledge and interest in mentoring and coaching junior roles.
- Excited to be a part of an indie studio with big ambitions!
Interested in finding out more about the studio and project? Apply now or call us directly today on +44 (0) 1206 214418!