Based in the North West of the UK, our client consistently produces BAFTA award winning AAA game titles, selling well over 180 million copies to date across all the major formats. But underpinning the success of this company is their cutting-edge and propriety in-house game engine that’s constantly evolving to meet the ever-increasing demands and challenges of the next generation of consoles.
Their Art team are looking to recruit a VFX Artist on a 6 Month FTC. Depending on project needs this could be extended or made permanent!
- Responsible for creating visual effects for the game (levels and cutscenes) compliant with game design and vision.
- Creation of effects using packages provided (Maya and Photoshop).
- Creation of particles using 2D textures (Photoshop) and in-house editors (particle/LED).
- Using Maya Fluid systems to create animating textures when required.
- Creation of bespoke and generic scenery effects (smoke/fire etc).
- Creation of bespoke character effects (shields/suits/hits/footsteps etc).
- Placement of static effects in levels.
- Creation of game specific VFX (explosions) placement generally by code.
- Creation (sometimes placement) of cutscene specific VFX (explosions etc) placement generally by animation.
- Working closely with environment artists on effects heavy levels to balance frame-rate.
- Liaise with Construction Artists with regards to placing and triggering gameplay-specific VFX.
- Ensuring work/level hits all memory and frame rate guides/restrictions.
- Understanding that changes and amendments are part of the pipeline.
- Attend regular reviews of work (and present all concept and ref if used).
- Feedback any concerns of design impact on level/work.
- Other tasks as required.
- Work with Art Leads and other artists to ensure consistency between vision and implementation of effects.
- Undertake relevant on-the-job training where required and keep up-to-date with industry advancements and technologies
- Good demonstration of skills through CV/Showreel/Website or Art Tests.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Good working knowledge and proficiency in Maya and Photoshop.
- Good understanding of in-house tools and software used in development.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving.
- Excellent artistic ability.
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects / tasks.
- Flexible approach with the ability to adapt with change.
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.