OPM’s client are looking for a UI Artist to take responsibility for project UI from original creative vision to realisation across the game. Drive forward the importance of high quality, immersive user experiences offering solutions in a proactive and collaborative manner. Assist and communicate with team members to design and craft fluid, seamless and enjoyable gaming experiences.
The role holder will need to be comfortable with maintaining their own schedule on a day-to-day basis and interacting with multiple disciplines.
- Take ownership of in-game UI–including specification of and creation of all art assets. Act as knowledge expert on maintenance and use of these.
- Build, maintain and manage strong working relationships with relevant individuals within code, design, art and animation to ensure effective pipeline implementation and maintenance. Understand and respond to requests from all disciplines and use knowledge of own area as well as a broad understanding to ensure action taken is appropriate, on time and to quality.
- Manage own schedule at a high level – working with senior members of the team from all disciplines including the Product Manager, to ensure overall prioritisation in relation to UI work. Advise relevant parties as to ongoing schedule tasks, revising where appropriate as issues arise to ensure tasks fit correctly within project milestones.
- Ensure own particular areas of expertise or experience are shared within the team. Remain up-to-date with current techniques and tools used in knowledge area and ensure that an ethos of continual learning is encouraged throughout.
- Ensure all work is documented at the highest quality level and clarity of explanation is maintained throughout. Recognise when documentation is needed (outside of the normal studio guidelines) and take initiative in maintaining relevant documentation. Ensure the above support the overall aim of streamlined production in relation to polished UI assets – utilise concepts, wireframes and other practices.
Knowledge and Skills required
- Extensive experience of UI work in the game industry
- An original thinker with a desire to create a range of diverse, high quality GUI and graphic design content
- A good eye for graphical design and an excellent understanding of visual layout and typography
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator & After Effects or similar
- Demonstrable experience of using 3D packages
- Ability to motivate, direct and proactively plan own work/pipelines whilst collaborating with others and navigating bottlenecks
- Ability to work within a highly flexible environment ensuring constant iteration based on feedback from multiple sources
- Strong attention to detail and recognition of the relationship between quality and commercial requirements
- An understanding of the purpose of UI within a player’s gaming experience
- Passion and ability to work as a positive, collaborative, passionate, enthusiastic, ambitious and contributing team member with a real desire to be part of the team.
- Competent knowledge of UE4 and Unreal Motion Graphics (UMG) including use of UMG Widgets & Blueprints
- Demonstrable experience of using 3D packages e.g. Maya
- UX design experience in game
- Previous experience of web design and media content creation