A brilliant chance for a talented and experienced software engineering professional to move into, and develop, within the fast-paced world of gaming.
If you are ready to make the difference, every day, with world class technology and development teams to deliver the products that reach and delight the most avid consumers worldwide then we have the role for you. The Engineering Services team is responsible to drive tools, innovation and development to ensure they deliver the leading entertainment products and eco systems that are expected from them, while improving the quality of life for every content creator and tester within teams world-wide.
As engineering leaders, candidates need to be self-driven, independent, able to conduct ROI analysis and to prioritize tasks based on them, achieve consensus with the various parties and work directly with stakeholders to drive change and influence development processes.
Excellent communication, documentation and problem-solving skills are required, knowledge and interest in software quality assurance and process improvement desirable.
What Does a Technical Director do?
Strategy & Planning
- Define the roadmap for the team by working with customers to delivery required technology, methods & process to successfully deliver on opportunities identified by working with stakeholders across studios worldwide.
- Provide strategic planning and direction in the area of integrating, testing, releasing and live services of solutions and infrastructures for the group:
- Lead the development of tools, services and release strategy.
- Validate requirements with stakeholders and design solutions in combination with members of the team.
- Drive innovation and manage opportunities.
- Drive collaboration and cooperation with partners.
- Be accountable for the technical proficiency of the team.
- Assist partners to understand their technology + data requirements and plan for service and strategies, while functioning as a subject matter expert in web technologies with customer teams.
Implementation & Deployment
- Provide technical oversight and direction to the local development teams.
- Conduct code reviews, and establish a robust quality assurance process, including continuous integration and static code analysis.
- Review and approve proposed development releases and oversee the release process for solutions.
- Monitor solution usage, performance and resolve any failures.
- Provide consulting to partners to drive collaboration and gain alignment on strategies at the component, sub-system, system level and services.
- Partner with stakeholders and development directors to ensure technology is delivered following a Minimal Viable Product methodology.
- Oversee internal and external project dependencies, risks and critical paths; ensure contingency plan is in place; recommend solutions and approve plan & timelines; understand overall impact on all stakeholders.
- Ensure appropriate technology is used to deliver the best overall benefit for the business.
- Drive solutions deployment, education and collect customer feedback.
- Ensure technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Ensure that internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with expectations.
- Promote achievement of the team business goals and develop policies for sharing software code, technological innovation and business processes, and other intellectual property.
- Help create a strong and coherent technical community by developing excellent relationships with technical peers in game development teams and other groups throughout EA studios.
- Participate in recruitment, training & coaching of engineers to enhance individual effectiveness and professional growth.
You Will Need:
- Extensive experience with web development frameworks for both front end (Angular JS, React, etc.) and back end development (.NET Web API, Ruby on Rails, Spring / Play, PHP, etc) as a full stack engineering lead and/or developer.
- Extensive software industry technical experience working on quality verification tools, test automation and/or development process improvements.
- Experience working with multiple different types of data storage technologies, such as SQL based data stores (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, etc.), document-based data stores (MongoDB, Couchbase, Elasticsearch, etc.), and others.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Test-Driven Development, and experience leading a team in implementing these principals.
- Demonstrated organizational communication and management skills with a strong desire to contribute to a unique creative environment by utilizing world-wide talent.
- Project management skills demonstrated by the ability to define tasks in a well-organized manner, based on proper resource and time management.
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with containerization (Docker) and development / deployment in a distributed hosting environment.
- Passion for video games and digital entertainment.
- Able to quickly assess situations, troubleshoot complex problems and lead a team through issue resolution when customer impacting issues occur.
- Ability to mentor, coach and develop engineer growth and professional development.
- Ability to travel.