Sorry! This job has been filled, so can no longer accept applications.
Technical Character Artist – AAA Games – London
Location: London, UK Salary: Negotiable
Job ID: # Posted: 3 years ago
Our client is looking for an exceptionally talented Senior Technical Artist (Character Specialist) to join them on a permanent basis and who is ready for the challenge of producing an AAA title on the next generation platforms. This position is for a technical artist with special affinity for character art, but if you are a character artist who is technically minded, we would like to hear from you as well.
- Working on character materials within UE4, maintaining consistency across all assets and adding any necessary features.
- Strong understanding of the creation of physically based shaders.
- Supporting the character art team on a daily basis.
- Problem solving for key production issues.
- Recognising inefficiencies and pipeline issues and identifying solutions.
- Working with the artists to make sure characters fit the art style and quality.
- Developing tools & scripts for 3rd party software (Max, Substance, Unreal) and in-house tools.
- Creation & maintenance of documentation for Technical Art features and tools to provide for the team.
- Liaise between Character Art and Engine programming teams on a daily basis to facilitate production needs.
- Regularly profile assets and highlight/address issues with relevant individuals.
- Excellent understanding of Pixel & Vertex Shaders.
- Knowledge of at least two the following required: HLSL/GLSL, Python, MAXScript, C#/C++.
- Understanding of 3D Math functions (linear algebra & vector maths) for real time graphics a major plus.
- Expert understanding of physically based rendering.
- Knowledge of 3dsmax and Unreal Engine toolsets.
- Experience working on shipped titles for consoles.
- Experience as a Technical Artist/ Character artist with a strong technical alignment.
- Experience with Substance Painter / Designer and the Substance Automation Kit a major plus.
- Experience using profiling tools for performance reviews and optimisations.
- Good understanding of toolset building for art assets creation.
- Solid understanding of art optimisation techniques.
- A passion for character art, and an eye for detail.
- A strong artistic ability, shown preferably within real-time game engines.
- A great ability to think creatively to overcome technical challenges.
- Great communication skills and a positive attitude.
- Strong organisational skills.
- A strong desire to investigate new techniques in the field.
- Familiarity with the creation of user-friendly tools and systems.
Categories: Art , Creative