Our client has just completed a VR launch title and is currently hiring a Technical Artist to join the team and work on their next new and exclusive virtual reality title.
As a Technical Artist to work across the spectrum of their ongoing projects. The successful candidate will have a very high level of technical skill and aesthetic judgement, combined with a passion for solving the problems of other artists. Acting as a bridge between the artists and programmers you will support the art team with content creation using both our in-house tools and available middleware. The Senior Technical Artist will play an integral part in helping to define and refine the art production pipeline, while supporting the content creation team to create graphically stunning games without sacrificing the artistic vision or exceeding the platforms technical limits.
- You will take ownership of specific game systems and collaborate with other departments to develop them from the prototyping phase all the way through to final quality.
- You will work iteratively with the Lead Gameplay designer to develop game mechanics and systems.
- You will work hands-on to help prototype new mechanics and iteration upon existing systems.
- You will collaborate with the rest of the design team to ensure consistently high-quality systems design across the game.
- You will help refine the systems design process and pipelines, proposing new tools to reduce iteration time and maximize quality.
Who you are/Essential skills:
- Act as a bridge between the Programming and Art team, supporting the communication and understanding between the discipline
- Be a day to day sounding board and support for artist questions, including ‘how to’, software, technical, or workflow related queries
- Balance the visual ambition with performance on the target platform, working with the artists to optimise the art content and achieve the required frame rate
- Troubleshoot asset issues and problem solve unknown development areas, undertaking R&D of new technical solutions to the projects creative needs as required
- Undertake software analysis and its adoption to support the Art supervisors with the development of a highly productive pipeline that can deliver high quality artwork
- Help set, and support the adoption of, best practice within the art department
- Support the on-boarding of new Artists, helping to set up their workflow and train artists in new or existing tools/workflow
- Support file management and related asset management housekeeping, providing feedback and guidance for artists to maintain organised an workflow and assets
- Support artist script and tool generation as appropriate
- Able to take ownership of distinct areas & work through complex areas of work with little to no supervision
- Proactive in being aware of industry knowledge and highlighting examples of technical and quality benchmarks in current art asset creation
- Contributes to ideas for development of the art department, projects and team
- Able to identify personal growth and be proactive in following a self-development plan
- Proactive in driving internal communication and inspiration within the art team
- Experience with using and developing tools for Maya
- Extensive knowledge and be highly skilled in art packages used for realtime art content creation
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills, with the ability to think creatively to resolve technical challenges and limitations
- Have knowledge of console hardware architecture and its impact on technical budget and optimization of art assets
- Ability to customise art packages so that they are as streamlined as possible for specific projects
- Be able to anticipate the needs of the artists so as to streamline their productivity
- Proactive in being aware of industry knowledge, technical advancements in art asset creation, and the competitive market
- Knowledge of shader authoring or procedural workflows a bonus
- Proactive and self-motivated team player who works well in a collaborative environment
- Ability to highlight examples of inspirational work that pushes technical and quality benchmarks
- Strong time management abilities, able to self-direct and maintain a sustainable predictable task delivery process
- Flexibility & the ability to learn new skills over time.