As a Senior VFX Artist on our client’s team, you will be expected to work alongside Designers, other Artists, Programmers and Producer on a day-to-day basis, conceptualising and creating a wide range of visual effects for games that achieve the production and quality goals set for the project. You will also work closely with the Lead VFX Artist in setting the style and quality standard for the games.
You will be expected to estimate timescales for your tasks in advance and deliver milestones as part of the development process. You should be able to show creative leadership to the VFX team, inspiring them to work to their potential and take pride in what they produce.
You will be an experienced and passionate individual who takes your career in visual effects seriously. You will need to be extremely creative, but also able to apply logic and analytical thought to the medium. You will also be able to communicate your ideas well both verbally and in writing and take pride in seeing your ideas come to fruition over the development process. A self-starter, you will be able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Responsible for conceptualising and creating a wide range of visual effects for the game, compliant with game design and vision.
- Creation of high-quality game and cutscene specific VFX using in-house editor and packages provided (Maya and Photoshop).
- Liaise with Construction Artists & Code with regards to placing and triggering gameplay-specific VFX.
- Feedback any risks or concerns of game designs impacting the schedule.
- Work with VFX Lead and Art Director to ensure consistency between vision and implementation of effects.
- Working closely with other departments on effects heavy levels to balance frame-rate.
- Ensuring work/level hits all memory and frame rate guides/restrictions for all platforms required.
- Understanding that changes and amendments are part of the pipeline.
- Responsible to plan and prioritise assigned workload within given deadline.
- Attending meetings to note the VFX requirements in conjunction with Level Director
- Help to mentor other VFX artists and lead by example.
- Document and communicate clear technical guidelines for VFX creation and real-time implementation to the team.
- Resolve assortment of complex artistic/VFX development issues for other VFX artists.
- Work closely with the VFX lead and engine programmers to build future tools and improve pipelines and graphic potential.
- Actively develop and improve skill set by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, and learning new software packages.
- Undertake relevant on-the-job training where required.
- Support the Lead Artist in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
- Other tasks as required.
- Outstanding portfolio demonstrating VFX work.
- Demonstrable production experience as a VFX Artist in the games industry, preferably on console titles.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Good working knowledge and proficiency of a 3D application, preferably Maya.
- Strong Photoshop editing skills for creating texture effects for use with the particle systems.
- Advanced skills of software used in game development (e.g. UE4, Unity).
- In-depth knowledge of VFX principals and good sense of timing and staging.
- Understanding of Shaders and Rendering Pipeline as it relates to VFX.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving.
- Experience with a scripting language would be a big plus.
- Experience with fluid simulation tools (e.g. FumeFX) would be a plus.
- Highly self-motivated and show initiative.
- Ability and willingness to accept and follow direction and to collaborate productively with others.
- Exceptional eye for detail and drive for quality.