Our client is Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
They are proud to be named one of the UK’s Best Places to Work by GamesIndustry.biz in 2018.
As a Senior UI Designer you will have the opportunity to lead a small team of talented UI designers on a multi-platform project. Working in line with the project vision and a partially complete style guide, you will use your initiative to build relationships with the game designers, iteratively develop interaction designs and work closely with the development team to create the best experiences within the budget.
If you have a keen eye for UI design, can transform game requirements into user-centered design artefacts, love solving problems and have a portfolio of UI design work, continue reading.
To be considered for this position, they will need to see examples of your UI design process, so please include a link to your portfolio with your application.
- Collaborate with other teams to solve defined problems and build features from scratch—from wireframes, to interactive prototypes and high fidelity mockups
- Create and maintain high quality assets and guidelines that are easily usable by the technical developers across multiple teams
- Iterate work on your own initiative, deliver on time and to the standard and vision set by the UI Design Principal or Game Director
- Take direction from stakeholders and cultivate a positive attitude to creative feedback
- Take responsibility for the quality of work, driving towards quality on a wider scale
- Use your expertise in to suggest alterations to designs, simplifying interactions and complex data, and challenging designs based on user research
- Provide Senior UI expertise to help mentor and coach more junior members of the team
- Work closely with the team to understand problems and collaboratively develop smart solutions
- Assist the Principal in longer term solutions that fit the vision, including helping with staffing, pipeline improvements, pushing for changes that will benefit the department and the people within it
- Lead a small team of UI designers, if required, managing their tasks through the lifetime of a project
- Make hard choices and compromises based on technical constraints, looking for cost effective solutions for the wider team
- Comfortable with feedback
- Passion for games and game design
- UI design skills, including:
- Interaction design
- Low fidelity prototyping
- High fidelity prototyping
- User centred design
- Visual design skills, including:
- Colour theory
- Confident communicator and fluent in English
- Extensive experience in the games industry
- Strategic experience—staffing, planning, pipeline improvements, asset management, triage and risk assessment
- Leadership experience—mentoring/leading more junior members of the team