This vacancy may offer a work-from-home start until it’s safe to work in-house or relocate to the location.
Our client is looking for an exceptional character artist with individual artistic flair, high end technical ability, and good problem-solving skills. The ideal candidate should be excited at the prospect of working within a small, focused team delivering AAA titles.
They are aiming to set the bar for real-time characters. This will involve high end modelling, texturing, shader work and an ability to carry this over into real-time using Unreal Engine 4. You will have proven experience in CG, film or games creating high-end characters. You will be able to create advanced materials and shaders by hand and with packages such as Substance Designer/Painter or similar.
The role is technically demanding, requiring deep problem solving to allow for characters that support real-time dynamics, advanced materials and demanding performance constraints. The candidates must also demonstrate an appetite for cutting edge asset creation pipelines that incorporate techniques such as real-world material acquisition, Marvellous Designer, PBR lighting, scanning technologies and photogrammetry techniques.
You will be part of a small team of experienced and friendly professionals who value collaboration, communication and a burning desire for self-improvement.
- Take an active role alongside the Lead Artist in the initial planning of work (considering task/assets, risk etc– both short and long-term), helping to push the style and quality of the art content. Develop tool chains and pipelines where appropriate ensuring day-to-day tasks remain on schedule and to high quality.
- Maintain a detailed view of art content worked on, as well as the bigger picture of the overall pipeline, to ensure any problem solving is both adept and long-term in view. Proactively test and troubleshoot work addressing any issues as required.
- Take an active part in team discussions offering advice and suggestions for improving the art quality of the characters. Contribute to wider studio discussions, where appropriate ensuring the Character Art team is well-represented.
- Maintain a flexible working practice – showing the ability and willingness to adapt to various art styles and tools, and to take advice from other disciplines and members of the art team as required.
- Maintain an up-to-date awareness of the schedule for Character Art and the wider studio, ensuring time estimates for completion of tasks are as accurate as possible. Take action as appropriate to ensure achievement of team goals.
- Act as a mentor to junior members, offering constructive advice where appropriate, assisting in prioritising, and supporting their development. Ensure own areas of expertise or experience are shared within the team. Remain up-to-date with current techniques and tools used in Character Art and ensure that an ethos of continual learning is encouraged within the team.
Knowledge and skills
- Extensive experience in game development
- Artistic flare and talent – you will inspire us with your work and enthusiasm, as well as demonstrate expert knowledge of the entire character art pipeline and how your work affects other disciplines.
- Proven skills in both hard edge modelling and organic sculpting.
- Demonstrable proficiency in realistic high-quality textures (and UV layout) as well as understanding of topology (optimisation and deformation).
- Ability to understand and translate concept art into a 3d model.
- Strong understanding of anatomy, proportion, weight and rhythm for human, animal and creature.
- Understanding of materials and component shader properties.
- A portfolio with samples of your work
- Ambition to create the best characters in the industry
- Proven experience in both hard edge and low poly modelling for games, as well as understanding of topology (optimisation and deformation).
- Expert knowledge of Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter and Marvellous Designer.
- Be proactive in your own personal development and open to critique and feedback
- Conceptual skills
- Houdini knowledge
- Traditional art skills
- Experience with handling and cleaning scan data
- Art history and theory knowledge