As a Lead VFX Artist on our client’s team, you will be expected to work alongside Designers, other Artists, Programmers and Producer on a day-to-day basis, conceptualising and creating a wide range of visual effects for games that achieve the production and quality goals set for the project. You will also work closely with the Head of Art in setting the style and quality standard for the games.
You will be expected to estimate timescales for your tasks in advance and deliver milestones as part of the development process. You should be able to show creative leadership to the VFX team, inspiring them to work to their potential and take pride in what they produce.
- Responsible for conceptualising and creating a wide range of visual effects for the game, compliant with game design and vision.
- Creation of high-quality game and cutscene specific VFX using in-house editor and packages provided (Maya and Photoshop).
- Liaise with Gameplay Artists & Code with regards to placing and triggering gameplay-specific VFX.
- Work with Art Director to ensure consistency between vision and implementation of effects.
- Working closely with other departments on effects heavy levels to balance frame-rate, hits all memory and frame rate guides/restrictions for all platforms required.
- Responsible to plan and prioritise assigned workload within given deadline.
- Attending meetings to note the VFX requirements in conjunction with Level Director.
- Help to mentor other VFX artists and lead by example.
- Document and communicate clear technical guidelines for VFX creation and real-time implementation to the team.
- Work closely with the engine programmers to build future tools and improve pipelines and graphic potential.
- Outstanding portfolio demonstrating VFX work.
- Demonstrable production experience as a VFX Artist in the games industry.
- Good working knowledge and proficiency of a 3D application, preferably Maya.
- Strong Photoshop editing skills for creating texture effects for use with the particle systems.
- Advanced skills of software used in game development (e.g. UE4, Unity).
- In-depth knowledge of VFX principals and good sense of timing and staging.
- Understanding of Shaders and Rendering Pipeline as it relates to VFX.
- Experience with a scripting language would be a big plus.
- Experience with fluid simulation tools (e.g. FumeFX) would be a plus.
- Exceptional eye for detail and drive for quality.