This vacancy may offer a work-from-home start until it is safe to work in-house or relocate to the location.
Project: AAA Console & PC Games
OPM are looking for an experienced Lead Game Designer with a passion for creating fun, accessible games for younger and family audiences to join a leading AAA game development studio.
This is a great opportunity to work with some of the most successful and famous IP's in entertainment, within a company that's a leader in this market.
Reporting to the Design Director, you will be responsible for leadership and day to day management of a section of the design team and ensuring high quality delivery of gameplay features and content.
- A passion for creating fun and accessible games for children and families
- A broad knowledge of all aspects of game design with a deep understand of several areas of specialisation, such as game mechanics, level design, combat, balancing, progression, usability, social mechanics, games as a service, etc.
- Extensive experience of games development, and as a Lead shipped at least two action or action/adventure current gen console or PC titles
- Leadership experience, including the running of a multi-person design team; people-management, mentoring, line-management
- Professional experience writing high quality design documentation
- Good knowledge of industry trends as they relate to genres, gameplay, development models, and financial models
- Experience of UE4 is an advantage
- Alongside the Head of Game & Design Director, you will help to evangelise the game vision, ensuring it is clearly communicated to your team and carried through into the game’s design and implementation
- You will be responsible for several aspects of the game and lead a team of designers to deliver those aspects to high quality and in line with the creative vision of the game
- You will discuss and clarify the rationale behind design decisions and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines, designers, management, external stakeholders, and user tests
- You will produce and maintain documentation including the GDD and wiki pages, though you will largely communicate verbally; devoting time with each team member, ensuring they understand the vision and design and have what they need to do their jobs
- You will oversee, mentor & coach the designers who report to you, as well as working with Production and your direct reports to assign & schedule tasks
- You will verify task estimations provided by more junior staff and ensure reasonable timeframes are provided for planning purposes
- You will hold regular 1-2-1 meetings with your direct reports, liaising with them on their career and professional development: as well as carrying out formal annual appraisals & goal setting
Interested in finding out more about the studio and project? Apply now or call directly today on +44 1206 214 415!