This vacancy may offer a work-from-home start until it’s safe to work in-house or relocate to the location.
Our client is looking for a talented and passionate Lead Environment Artist to join their team in London building a new and highly ambitious online shooter. They are looking to grow a relatively small, tight-knit team, capable of delivering big ideas through experience, smart process, and development of world-class tools.
You will be leading and mentoring a small team of environment artists, creating large scale environments that combine hard surface and organic 3D art. You will be responsible for establishing benchmark standards with the team, and ensuring the environments meet these established quality standards across the game.
They are seeking someone with creative flair, a love of creating environments and strong understanding of visual design principles such as Lighting and storytelling through scene composition.
- Collaborate with the Art and Design Leads to define the benchmark standards for the game’s environments and drive quality throughout production
- Liaise with Production and stakeholders to develop environment production schedules and prioritize work orders
- Keep production and stakeholders informed of progress or risks, identify any blockers or dependencies, and develop mitigation strategies where necessary
- Work with Tech Artists and Programming team to help define and implement any workflows, pipelines, and best practice
- Be hands on as a craft expert
- Ensure all environments are delivered against agreed technical specifications, quality bars and all assets are present and functioning in the game engine as intended
- Ensure all assets and environments meet the games art style
- Maintaining the benchmark quality throughout the production cycle and ensure timely delivery of assets
- Responsibility for the growth and development of the team, identify any training needs and requirements
- Communicate with any outsourcing partners as required
- Extensive experience in AAA game development and at least 1 commercially released title in a Lead or senior role
- Strong communication skills as you will be working with key stakeholders to solve problems as well as keeping the production team up to date with progress and any issues that may arise
- Comprehensive knowledge of industry standard 3D and 2D software, ZBrush, 3DS Max, Maya, Substance Painter and Designer, Photoshop etc
- Experience of developing modular construction techniques
- Expert knowledge of industry standard pipelines and workflows, asset exporting process and implementation within the game
- Experience of working with Unreal Engine 4
- A passion for building and playing video games
- Experience managing and mentoring other artists
- Keen understanding of current and new world building techniques and technologies and a desire to push quality while maintaining technical performance
Desirable additional Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with the UE4 blueprints system and common UE4 middleware
- Knowledge of working with photogrammetry to create performant game ready assets
- Experience working with the UE4 materials editor
- Experienced in the development and implementation of tailored workflows and pipelines
- Experience of working with outsource partners and software such as shotgun