This vacancy may offer a work-from-home start until it’s safe to work in-house or relocate to the location.
Our client is looking for a talented, passionate Character Art Director to join their team in London, building a new and highly ambitious online shooter. They are looking to grow a relatively small, tight-knit team, capable of delivering big ideas through experience, smart process, and world-class tools.
As the Character Art Director you will utilize your passion, creativity, and technical acumen to build the visual style for all characters. You will report to the Creative Director and work with production, engineering, and design to craft the artistic vision for our characters. Experience developing character-driven games is a must.
- Lead, motivate, and inspire a highly creative team of artists. Oversee their work and manage the quality of their output
- Oversee all external character vendors, create packs and documentation, set expectations, and manage deliverables
- Manage the procurement and creation of all concept art for characters in line with your vision and in collaboration with the overall vision of the Creative Director. Ensure the output of concept art is suitable for internal work and external vendors
- Create and oversee all character pipeline workflows including efficient memory management of UVs, textures, and vertices
- Work with animation and engineering and design to ensure that finished characters meet the technical and design requirements for the game
- With the Development Manager and Producer, assist in creating a roadmap for development of all character art assets, internal and external
- With the Development Manager, create a budget for your team including projected headcount, vendor expenses, and hardware and software needs
- Shipped at least three titles credited as character artist
- Substantial management experience
- Proven artistic skills including an understanding of anatomy, sculpting and texturing
- Advanced fine arts degree a plus
- Proficient with Max or Maya, Zbrush, and Photoshop
- Knowledge of Substance Painter, Substance Designer, and Marvelous Designer a plus
- Excellent 3D modelling skills on both hard and soft surfaces, with a proven ability to mentor other 3D character artists
- Experience developing unique silhouettes for diverse characters
- Proven experience with current generation PBR texturing workflows
- Substantial experience building characters for rigging and skinning in preparation for animation
- Substantial experience with real-time shaders
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4)
- Significant experience with sci-fi character assets preferred