This vacancy may offer a work-from-home start until it’s safe to work in-house or relocate to the location.
Our client is currently growing their team to lead development on an unannounced online shooter. As part of this, they are looking for an Art Director to join the team.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated leader with a deep passion for games, science fiction, and a broad experience in developing art.
The Art Director will work with and manage the art team to create the characters, gear, terrain, and architecture for our game mood, tone, graphical signature, and sense of motion. The Art Director will also be responsible for creating and communicating the artistic vision for the game.
- Collaborate with Game Director and Creative Director to establish the visual style and artistic vision of the game, including all logos, user interfaces, visual effects, characters, terrain, and architectural assets. Ensure the visual unity of all constituent parts
- Manage the procurement and direction of all concept art for the game
- Mentor and manage senior and lead artists on the project and provide feedback on the performance of their direct reports
- With the Development Manager and Producer, assist in creating a roadmap for development of all art assets, internal and external
- Work with the Technical Director to establish memory and polygon budgets for all art assets. Ensure that all generated assets remain performant
- Review and help establish pipelines for all assets including characters, terrain, architecture, and visual effects. Ensure pipelines are established for all external vendors
- Create and maintain the Art Bible and ensure that all employees and vendors have bought into and understand its contents
- With the Development Manager, create a budget for your team including projected headcount, vendor expenses, and hardware and software needs
- Extensive game art production experience, including successful experience in management
- Minimum of 5 shipped titles as a leader or manager of artists, with at least one project in a sci-fi setting.
- A great team player, able to communicate, collaborate, teach, and learn from others
- Strong experience with outsourcing pipelines and technical constraints, specifically with UE4
- Strong ability in writing documentation for art production
- Proven ability with current 2D and 3D applications including Substance, Photoshop, and Maya
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of art and visual design including composition and color theory
- Advanced degree in fine arts preferred
- Significant experience with character art preferred
- Significant experience with physically based rendered assets preferred