This vacancy may offer a work-from-home start until it’s safe to work in-house or relocate to the location.
Our client is seeking a Senior Art Director to lead the Art department across the company, collaborate on technology, tool & pipeline development and help realise the game vision for an entirely new AAA open world game in collaboration with both internal and external talent. You will use your experience in the field to drive productivity as well as identify risks & opportunities for improvement throughout the team. You must be flexible, highly motivated and detail oriented.
This position is based in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Motivate and inspire the art team ensuring that the artistic style and mood are consistent with defined visual style.
- Manage and develop the Art Leads across the company, holding regular 1 to 1s, setting objectives, looking after the team's welfare and providing mentoring.
- Drive the visual quality in collaboration with the Directors and Leads, practically adapting and re-prioritising creative and technical artistic changes.
- Provide active and on-going communication regarding the art team status & professional development, review staffing plans regularly and proactively in relation to the current project phase and objectives.
- Collaborate with production and discipline Leads on project planning, workflows and visual direction.
- Oversee and provide detailed feedback to multiple art disciplines including 2D, 3D, Lighting, VFX and Concept Art.
- Establish best practices, methods, and pipelines for the art team, as well as a plan for the development or acquisition of technology and tools to deliver world-class quality across all artistic disciplines of the project.
- Provide clear, concise visual direction and guidance across all art development and ensure that reviews of all digital assets deliver feedback in a timely manner.
- Share your passion for excellence, create inspiring artwork/style guides to clearly promote visual quality standards and ensure that everyone is working cohesively to meet these standards.
- Continually look for opportunities to innovate and improve the visual quality of the project.
- Shipped at least one AAA title from concept to final as an Art or Assistant Art Director.
- Highly proficient in current development tools and software such as Unreal, Maya and/or 3DS Max, Zbrush, Substance and Photoshop.
- A confident art leader with excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate visual ideas with clarity & conviction as well as provide clear feedback & guidance.
- Keen eye for what works visually, with the ability to understand and stay focused on the big picture.
- Good understanding of essential art principles; colour and lighting theory, composition and staging technique as as well as UI, UX and VFX.
- Ability to creatively supervise & drive artwork, direct other artists and lead by example.
- An exceptional understanding of up to date game development technical processes with a keen interest in latest technology workflows and advancements as well as learning, evaluating and evangelising appropriate usage of new software, tools and technologies.
- Calm, positive and professional attitude alongside excellent time-management and organisational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualise a creative vision and establish quality benchmarks for the team.
- Track record of proactive problem solving, working in collaboration with other discipline Leads and building bridges outside of the art team as required.
- You must be eligible to work in the UK and travel to other studio and partner locations when required.