Our client is Ireland’s largest games developer and specialises in ambitious free-to-play strategy MMO games. Their first game, has grossed well into the seven figures since launching late 2014 and they are now developing their second title, based on a phenomenal IP launching in 2017.
Your passion will be in creating and maintaining awesome games, as well as ensuring the studio has the best and most efficient development experience and processes. This is a great opportunity to head up an exceptional team of game server engineers.
Here’s what you will be doing:
- Lead and manage the MMO Game Server Engineering team. They’re developing incredible next-generation MMORTS and Empire-Building games played by millions of mobile gamers.
- Work closely with the CTO and product team, defining and implementing key technical goals as well as goals and concepts to bring teams to the next level
- Design the architecture and implement server side game logic while leading the technical direction of the product
- Create a culture of high quality and high performance within the Game Server Engineering team and build low latency solutions that are highly scalable and consistent
- Mentor a team of highly technical and motivated server engineers
- Jump in to help the teams with troubleshooting and research of technical solutions
- Implement tools that empower their LiveOps & Game-Design teams to create new and exciting gameplay experiences
- Work closely with the Feature Owners, Game Client Developers, Game Designers and LiveOps developers on features and tools
- Handle DevOps or be interested in learning how to do it (Working on scaling and deploying systems). “You build it, you run it” on a flexible docker environment
- Load test, monitor, profile and optimise game servers
- Prioritise technical tasks and work with the team to plan for development
- Manage a rotating on-call schedule
Required Skills and Experience:
- Proven professional experience working in professional Agile software production
- Solid technical leadership of an experienced engineering team
- Broad knowledge of different architectures and how they fit or not for specific goals (e.g. best CPU performance, efficient data storage or code understandability etc.)
- Pragmatic and sustainable approach to programming and creating extensible and maintainable high performance code
- Very experienced in developing backends and servers for large scale MMO games or similar systems that can handle tens of thousands of concurrent users.
- Solid programming skills in Python and another programming language (e.g. C#, Elixir, Java, C++)
- Solid Linux skills (Bash, working with log files, monitoring IO etc.)
- Ability to write efficient low-latency and low-IO code
- Experience working with Redis, ORMs and migration scripts
- Experienced in developing large-scale web services and working with DevOps teams to deploy
- Solid understanding on how to prevent intrusions, injections, cheating etc.
- Be a gamer
Nice to have’s:
- Low-level networking & network-protocols experience
- Experienced in creating highly optimised low latency code
- Experience working with Amazon and Docker
- Experience in a functional programming language (Scala, F#, Erlang etc.)
- Experienced in Unit-Testing and other automated testing e.g. using JMeter, Locust or Tsung
- AAA or F2P MMO game-dev experience
- Experience with Unity, or C# is a bonus
- Experience in mentoring
To apply please send a CV to email@example.com
Max Hurd – Programming Consultant
OPM Response Ltd
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214420