If you are interested in the idea of bringing unique characters and worlds to life, then game animator jobs are worth looking at! This role involves using character models and breathing life into them. Animators use a range of skills and software tools including Maya, Motion Builder and Blender to help bring character designs to life. So, what sort of tasks does someone involved in animation have to perform? Also, what skill set will you need in order to apply for animator jobs? Let us look further at these questions below.
What Do Game Animation Jobs Involve?
Anyone working in an animation role can perform some, or all, of these tasks:
- Create believable character animations with actions that add to the game’s story.
- Design character animations that can express emotion and mood within the game’s story.
- Meet with other departments to help realise their concepts into animation.
- Animate humans, creatures, props, vehicles and more.
- Cinematic Animators will create acting based animations based on storyboards.
- Use video and film reference or film yourself performing body mechanics and recreate them in 3D.
- Abide by the 12 principles of Animations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_basic_principles_of_animation
- Understand how to implement your animations in game engines and work within their limitations.
- Team up and work with programmers, artists and other animators to ensure your animations are fit for task.
- Stay up to date with current animation and gaming trends.
- Able to work to allocated time frames and budget demands.
The Requirements of Game Animator Jobs
If you are looking for animation jobs in the games industry, then you are likely to need these qualifications on your CV:
- A demo reel, that displays your skills and experience in the field.
- A solid understanding of anatomy and body mechanics in both 2D and 3D animation.
- Strong communication and team skills.
- Knowledge of programming languages, game engines and animation software.
- A degree in computer art and/or animation.
- Knowledge of modelling, rigging and skinning models.
- An inventive and creative mind that can come up with solutions to technical challenges.
- A passion for games and for working in the industry.
How Can OPMjobs Help?
If you are looking for games animator jobs, then the OPMjobs team can help you get your foot in the door. Here at OPMjobs, we help talented and dedicated job seekers find their dream roles within the gaming industry. We have helped job seekers find new roles in over 110 games companies, in 32 countries. So, whether you are looking for permanent, contract or remote work, we can help you find a job that suits your passion and skills. For more information on our range of creative video games jobs, browse our available roles online or contact our friendly team via phone. For your entry into the world of making video games, contact OPMjobs today.